Last updated: 17th May 2018
(Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it) When you supply your personal details to this clinic they are stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the General Data Protection Regulation).
- We need to collect your personal details about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information, because without it we couldn’t do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters relating to your medical care. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
- Provided we have your consent we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of articles, advice or newsletters. We don’t do this at present, however in the future we may feel this might be beneficial. You may withdraw this consent at any time – just let us know by any convenient method.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25 if this is longer), but after this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish. Otherwise, we may retain your records indefinitely in order that we can provide you with the best possible care should you need to see us at some time in the future.
Your records are stored:
- On paper in locked filing cabinets, and the clinic is always locked when unattended and out of clinic opening hours
- Electronically using cloud based storage and practice management software. All providers are compliant with the General Data Provider Regulations. Access to this data is password protected and the passwords are changed regularly.
- On our office computers, these are password protected and securely backed up.
We will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- Your Practitioner(s) in order that they can provide you with treatment
- Cloud based diary system
- Other administrative staff such as our bookkeeper. Again, administrative staff will not have access to your medical notes, just your essential contact details.
You have the right to see what personal data of yours we hold, and you can ask us to correct any factual errors. Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask us to erase your records.
We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that only the people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
Of course, if you feel that we are mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to what is referred to in jargon as the “Data Controller”. Here are the details:
Tel: 01628 533200
The Pentagon Clinic
Annex Day Centre
Bucks SL8 5SX
If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.